Welcome to WordPress 6.0.2
WordPress 6.0.2 is now available on both of Baylor's CampusPress networks — blogs.baylor.edu and sites.baylor.edu. This latest version includes more than 500 enhancements and 400 bug fixes. This article highlights several key advancements aimed at making your WordPress content-creating and site-building experience more feature-rich and intuitive.
Enhanced Writing Experience
Writing improvements abound, whether you’re writing a brand new post or adding elements to an existing page. Explore more ways to streamline your content creation process, including:
- Select text across multiple blocks and edit it all at once.
- Type two open brackets
[[to quickly access the link menu.
- Keep existing styles when you transform some blocks from one kind to another—from a Paragraph block to a Code block, for instance.
- Create customized buttons and any new buttons you make will retain the style customizations automatically.
- Make tag clouds and social icons even more appealing with updated settings and controls, and a new outline style for the tag cloud.
Block themes now include the option to contain multiple style variations. This expands the new Style system even further and enables shortcuts to switch the look and feel of your site all within a single theme. You can change both the available settings, like the font weight, and the style options, like the default color palette. Change the look and feel of your site with just a few clicks.
More Template Choices
WordPress 6.0 includes five new template options: author, date, categories, tag, and taxonomy. These additional templates provide greater flexibility for content creators. Tailor each with the tools you already know or with the following new options in this release.
Featured images can be used in the cover block. New featured image sizing controls make it easier to get the results you want.
While editing a template, at the root, or between blocks, the quick inserter shows you patterns and template parts to help you work faster and discover new layout options. The query block supports filtering on multiple authors, support for custom taxonomies, and support for customizing what is shown when there are no results.
Better List View
New keyboard shortcuts enable you to select multiple blocks from the list view, modify them in bulk, and drag-and-drop them within the list. List View can be opened and closed easily; it comes collapsed by default and it automatically expands to the current selection whenever you select a block.
Block Locking Controls
Now you can lock your blocks. Choose to disable the option to move a block, remove a block, or both. This simplifies project handover, allowing your clients to unleash their creativity without worrying about accidentally breaking their site in the process.
Additional Design Tools
Design tools grow more powerful and intuitive with each release.
Some highlights for 6.0 include:
- A new color panel design saves space, but still shows your options at a glance.
- Patterns will now appear when you need them in even more places, like in the quick inserter or when creating a new header or footer.
- New border controls offer a simpler way to set your border exactly as you like it.
- Transparency levels for your colors allow for even more creative color options.
- Control gaps, margins, typography, and more on a collection of blocks, all at once, in the Group block.
- Switch between stack, row, and group variations to position groups of blocks with more layout flexibility.
- Use the gap support functionality in the Gallery block to create different looks–from adding spacing between all images, to removing spacing altogether.
Learn more about WordPress 6.0.2
See WordPress 6.0 in action! Watch a brief overview video highlighting some of the major features debuting in WordPress 6.0.
Explore learn.wordpress.org/workshops for quick how-to videos and lots more on new features in WordPress, or join a live interactive online learning session on a specific WordPress topic. Read the WordPress 6.0 Release Notes for more information on the included enhancements and issues fixed, installation information, developer notes and resources, release contributors, and the list of file changes in this release.