Participating in the Instructure Community system is the most effective way to influence how Instructure prioritizes and develops changes to its product. Before you explore the community forums, we recommend becoming familiar with the way in which Instructure vets feature requests:
- How do idea conversations work in the Instructure Community?
- What is the feature development process for Instructure products?
- How do I create a new idea conversation in the Instructure Community?
Follow the steps below to find, comment on, and rate an existing feature request or to submit a new one.
Step 1: Login to the community system.
You must be logged in to this system to submit a new feature idea or rate existing ideas. Login to Canvas and select the Submit a Feature Idea link from the Help menu.
Log in to the community system if requested. If you have previously logged in to Canvas as instructed above, then you should automatically be logged in to the community system. You may be prompted to create an account profile on your first visit.
Step 2: Review existing feature ideas.
Before posting your idea, see if your idea or a version of your idea has already been suggested. You can view all existing idea conversations that are available in the Idea Conversations feed. Ideas are sorted by date created by default. Use the filter drop-downs to sort and filter idea conversations by status, product, and date.
- Comment - If your idea is a variation of an existing idea conversation or you have additional thoughts, you may want to add comments to the existing conversation thread.
- Rate - If the idea is open for rating, you can rate the idea. Idea conversations are available for rating unless they have been completed or archived for a documented reason.
- Subscribe - If you'd like to keep an eye on the idea (along with the comments and status), you can subscribe to the idea.
Step 3 (Optional): Create a new idea conversation.
If you have searched Instructure's feature request forum and have not found an existing conversation for your idea, submit a feature idea conversation. To create a new idea, click the Suggest an Idea button.
Enter a subject for your new idea conversation. Be sure to write a clear and descriptive idea subject. The community platform automatically searches for similar ideas using keywords in your idea subject. If you see a similar idea, click the idea title to rate and comment on the idea. Duplicate ideas will be merged into existing idea conversations. After you've reviewed existing ideas, confirm that your topic hasn't been posted before, and click the Continue and Post button.
Note: To create a new idea conversation in the Instructure Community, you must be ranked as a Participant or above. Community members with the New Member rank cannot create new idea conversations. However, New Members may still comment on and rate existing idea conversations. Learn more about Community ranks.